1996-07-04 - Re: What remains to be done.

Header Data

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Message Hash: cc97bf8f71c7fbc0d2f5bfe26dfb863a3b6ed0e496a3779c67e14474233179a7
Message ID: <199607040558.WAA07414@primenet.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 17:13:27 +0800

Raw message

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 17:13:27 +0800
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Subject: Re: What remains to be done.

Addressed to: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
              Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>

** Reply to note from Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li> 07/03/96 10:17pm -0400

	good "white paper."

	modularity is the key.  use of standardized encryption libraries
    permitting user selection of one or more formats.

	message pools would be great from satellite channels --how do you
    regulate (read this as "pay for") since someone must receive the messages to
    uplink?  -otherwise you have the dropouts of USENET.

	user interface is the achilles heel for most programmers --the time is
    spent making the code 'work.'  with the tools available which allow multi-
    platform development, the *functional* GUI should be done by someone who
    creates "artitstic" interfaces.

	I agree-- if encryption can be made so simple, and with a clean user
    interface, it will be used by joe sixpack (who rarely likes uncle, anyway
    --but for different reasons). once joe sixpack starts to use (probably
    dropping his private keys...), then it is too pervasive to stop --even if
    there are a few high level prosecutions.

	one of our greatest failings v/v encryption as a group (including
    coderpunks) is we are satisfied with our access to encrytion. PGP is a
    nusiance, and the instructions are not clear --so we experiment until we get
    the results: on the command line.

	our satisfaction makes us insular; we need to think in global terms --mass
    marketing of a free product which will hold appeal for everyone.  encryption
    is no different than the students in China --no, they do have it, but how long
    can Father Deng (and his successors) hang on against technology and quest for
    knowledge?

--
Fuck off, Uncle Sam. Cyberspace is where democracy lives!

Thread