1996-07-16 - Sternlight on C’punks

Header Data

From: “Mark O. Aldrich” <maldrich@grci.com>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: ddf4df0c39e848653f9bcac652846fdba49d7b8fb40a18a6bcb0d29523de3e11
Message ID: <Pine.SCO.3.93.960715185059.7939B-100000@grctechs.va.grci.com>
Reply To: <199607151701.KAA00537@mail.pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-16 07:31:11 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 15:31:11 +0800

Raw message

From: "Mark O. Aldrich" <maldrich@grci.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 15:31:11 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Sternlight on C'punks

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, jim bell wrote:

> >This post is a courtesy to others who may have been expecting more.
>
> It's not that we're expecting more...it's just that we're hoping for BETTER.
>
> >It's a
> >one-time statement to this list, which I've just joined, of my current
> >practice: Silence does not constitute assent.
> >David
>
> Well, that's where you're confused.  Our positions are not morally
> equivalent.  Despite trying to hide behind the smokescreen of calling the
> government's GAK position "voluntary," we all know that they are trying to
> misuse their influence to gently force us to use GAK, if by no other means
> that forcing the taxpayer to pay for the system as they have done already.

Geezzzz, here we go....

One of the blessings of c'punks was that it was not 'worthy' of the time
of several professional flame-baiters who are fairly well-known on the
'Net, in particular, David Sternlight.  Now, however, that seems to have
changed.  If everyone thought things were weird around here with
Detweiler, just wait until you see DS's stuff....

Aside from the now-infamous "Who is David Sternlight, REALLY?" and "Who
does Sternlight REALLY work for" multi-generational, gigabyte-consuming,
bandwidth-devastating threads [search usenet archives for several YEARS
worth of traffic on these subjects] that have already graced the Internet
(note that Sternlight actually had his OWN usenet newsgroup), there's the
fear that DS will start a flame thrower exchange with anyone, regardless
of topic.  AND, he'll keep posting about it.  Relentlessly.

After seeing what happened to sci.crypt (it was essentially wrecked for
anyone without killfile capability), I'd caution the c'punkers
(particularly the more vocal ones) to NOT TAKE THE BAIT.  It's only
natural that Perry, Jim, and the others be the first to take exception
to DS's stuff.  It's probably only going to get worse as DS is the
consummate flame king and he is at least as relentless as Detweiler.

God bless 'em, but it's time to add another line to the c'punks net.loon
warning file.

|Just as the strength of the Internet is  |Mark Aldrich                 |
|chaos, so the strength of our liberty    |GRCI INFOSEC Engineering     |
|depends upon the chaos and cacophony of  |maldrich@grci.com            |
|the unfettered speech the First Amendment|MAldrich@dockmaster.ncsc.mil |
|protects - District Judge Stewart Dalzell|                             |
|The author is PGP Empowered.  Public key at:  finger maldrich@grci.com |
|    The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author     |
|         and my employer gets no credit for them whatsoever.           |