1996-07-23 - Re: Giving 6 year old kids Uzi’s (Was: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids)

Header Data

From: Ernest Hua <hua@xenon.chromatic.com>
To: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Message Hash: de753c3c96a136c64f3b97cff89d6e7445c016448438ecace60d05f59330ff9f
Message ID: <199607221901.MAA28609@server1.chromatic.com>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.93.960721114117.2945F-100000@smoke.suba.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-23 02:54:03 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 10:54:03 +0800

Raw message

From: Ernest Hua <hua@xenon.chromatic.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 10:54:03 +0800
To: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Subject: Re: Giving 6 year old kids Uzi's (Was: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids)

> > Incidentally, if you are interested, I DO have a child (almost 2 yrs),
> > and I certainly would not even contemplate letting him have a gun (no
> > matter how well he can use it) until he can legal get one himself.  I
> > will certainly invoke serious wrath (on him and anyone else involved)
> > if I ever found him with a gun.
>
>      Yes, those guns are evil things. Evil I tell you, constantly shooting
> people for no reason, going off half-cocked and whooping it up all by
> their polished oiled ol selves.

Hmm.  Sarcasm?  Cannot definitively say, but I'll guess it is.

>      Isn't it funny how otherwise rational people can ascribe intentions
> and moral alignement (ie. good/evil) to an inert chunk of steel?

Assuming you are accusing me of such, you should probably point out
specifically where I said such a thing.  (If I did, it would be bad
grammar or some such, and I would certainly retract it.)

>      He also taught me the basics of gun saftey, and made sure that
> I took those classes that were available to me in the areas of gun
> saftey and marksmanship.

You might be missing the mark too, but I thought the subject was
giving a gun to every child who enters school, not YOURs or SOME
EXPERT 6 YEAR OLD's special case.

Yes, if every child was truly an exemplary God-fearing Christian,
I would probably have fewer objections to giving every child a
gun.  After all, they would NEVER use it in a fit of rage or
jealousy or any such sins ...  Right?

Death is permanent.  A child is prone to accidents.  Maybe those
of you who are just too "special" and "talented" don't need such
paternalistic frameworks, but I know my child cannot tell right
from wrong, good from bad.  He will get better over time.  But I
don't want another child to pay for my son's less than full
maturity by getting shot.

Ern

Thread