1996-07-26 - Freedom, crypto, and terrorism

Header Data

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e4c771dc3bad21daa7e0b0c6203cb0314049c8b0d02f4cdc5fcd085892f9f5da
Message ID: <v03007800ae1e19bfccf0@[192.187.162.15]>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960725212455.006a3bf8@pop1.jmb.bah.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-26 10:01:09 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 18:01:09 +0800

Raw message

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 18:01:09 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Freedom, crypto, and terrorism

At 2:24 PM -0700 7/25/96, Charley Sparks wrote:

>I forget who said " The price of freedom is eternal vigilance"  but it
>applies to threats both foreign and domestic. This includes the government.
>I trust no one absolutely. And I among many others have helped to pay for
>what freedom we have left.
>( He said, in a movin' to Idaho kinda way )

It was "Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty."

I have just revised my views on the topic of freedom, crypto, and terrorism
as a result of reading Benjamin Netanyahu's new book (a few months old) on
terrorism and what the West can do about it, in one sitting. The book was
written before he became Prime Minister.

So as not to start a flame war here, let me just say that no intelligent
person can discuss this subject without having read Netanyahu's book. It
should be required reading for every American.

No--I'm not going to say what my views now are. Let me just say that in
about 150 very closely reasoned pages, with lots of both historical and
current evidence, Netanyahu has brought me around totally in support of his
views and his prescription for the United States--and I understand much
better now why his positions on Israeli policy are directly in the vital
interests of the United States. Readers wishing an explanation for certain
recent US policies, as well as a guide to likely future ones will benefit
from this book, whose influence has reached the highest circles of US
leadership.

Informed readers will know what I mean. Those who aren't should become so
informed by reading the book. I would be happy to entertain a discussion of
the book via private e-mail with those who have read it.

David

Thread