1996-07-23 - Re: NSA Lawyers Believe ITARs Would be Overturned

Header Data

From: “Chris Adams” <adamsc@io-online.com>
To: “cypherpunks” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: e53b9041841975428750254f39288d4d857a4039fbd4821be6bb103a8f46a26d
Message ID: <199607230459.VAA23783@cygnus.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:02:04 +0800

Raw message

From: "Chris Adams" <adamsc@io-online.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:02:04 +0800
To: "cypherpunks" <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Subject: Re: NSA Lawyers Believe ITARs Would be Overturned

On 22 Jul 96 05:06:06 -0800, tcmay@got.net wrote:

>>Which raises an interesting question:  Why aren't they (still) restricting
>>PC-type computers for export?  While it might not appear to make a great
>>deal of sense either, a PC is just as much a tool for encryption as the
>>software which runs on it.  And it's obvious that given the two scenarios
>>below:
>
>But they _are_ (so far as I know, though I haven't checked recently).
>
>That is, there are export restrictions on computers and programs which can
>perform certain mathematical operations faster than some specfied limit.
>For example, FFTs faster than a certain rate.
>
>My copy of Mathematica, updated less than 18 months ago, says "Not for
>Export," and this was not because it contained any crypto code, but because
>of the performance on certain algorithms (on commonly available machines).

I was wondering why Mathcad had that sticker. It's only 2-3 months old,
BTW.

// Chris Adams <adamsc@io-online.com> - Webpages for sale! Se habla JavaScript!
// Automatically receive my resume or PGPKEY by sending email with a subject
// of 'send PGPKEY' or 'send resume'. Capitalization counts so be careful!

Thread