1996-07-23 - Brute Force DES

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: trei@process.com
Message Hash: e5a014e25fdc0aafd56518b838752c54967fda1d30a566a4df8951fe05e76844
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960722180543.0069c5a8@panix.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 10:41:10 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 10:41:10 +0800
To: trei@process.com
Subject: Brute Force DES

At 10:32 AM 7/22/96 -6, Peter Trei wrote:

>Any one up for a distributed brute force attack on single DES? My
>back-of-the-envelope calculations and guesstimates put this on the
>hairy edge of doability (the critical factor is how many machines can
>be recruited - a non-trivial cash prize would help).

I volunteer my 120 MHZ Pentium.  A lot more Pentiums are out there now than
a year ago.  That makes it more feasible.  A lot more people with full net
connections.  Like most Americans, I have a flat rate net connection and a
flat rate local phone connection so could run a cracking session permanently
(as long as no one tells my ISP).  We need a full test of the Winsock
cracking client in any case.  It wasn't working very well last time.

DCF

Thread