1996-07-27 - Re: Overwelmed with Stupidity…

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e70eac35ec619fe7f8f8ef9ea877e73ebaff38880b36ac1fde084ca2e15530ea
Message ID: <199607271755.KAA17499@netcom11.netcom.com>
Reply To: <c=US%a=_%p=msft%l=RED-13-MSG-960727172150Z-2407@tide19.microsoft.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-27 20:06:30 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:06:30 +0800

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 04:06:30 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Overwelmed with Stupidity...

Gregory Ellison <gregorye@microsoft.com> writes:

 > then proceeds to pull Mike's leg by telling him TRS-80 is a
 > technical paper by David Sternlight, DES is a synthetic
 > estrogen that shrinks your dick, and GAK is green slime on a
 > kiddie show.

Well, I will admit the first one was satire, but the last two
were perfectly accurate.  For the humor impaired, this is an
example of AOL.  (That's Acronym OverLoad, not to be confused
with the popular online service.)

You see, Gregory, there are far more things in the universe than
there are three letter abbreviations for them.  Hence, as the
number of acronyms increases, collisions are inevitable. Asking
"What is GAK?" or "What is ATM?" is really not well-defined
outside of a narrow discipline.

 > Really mature, really nurturing of the serious values and
 > issues this list exists to disseminate.

 > I, too, am a relative newcomer to this list, ...

As is evident.

 > Shaun, TRS-80 is an early line of microcomputers produced
 > by Radio Shack,

"TRS" is also an excellent line of precision torque sensors,
should you be in the market for one.

 > I believe in the values this list was founded to
 > promulgate, and I value it for the open political, technical
 > and philosopical discussions of issues crucial to our time.
 > And, yes, it's great to have fun, too, but does it always
 > have to be mean-spirited fun at someone else's expense?

Har!  If you want "mean-spirited fun", drop into rec.pets.cats
sometimes.  Methinks you live a sheltered life.

     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread