1996-07-31 - Crypto Law and Veincheck

Header Data

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e7945f1cf8759a1065dd04c57b68ca5b2b29674a251edf32bc5f497e55545923
Message ID: <199607311222.MAA14643@pipe5.t1.usa.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 23:43:02 +0800

Raw message

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 23:43:02 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Crypto Law and Veincheck

http://www.ispo.cec.be:81/ispo/lists/ispo/0464.html

----------

European Crypto Law information sources

Robert Horvitz (horvitzr@omri.cz)
Tue, 21 May 1996 13:22:59 +1GMT

Reply to aadamski@cc.uni.torun.pl (Andrzej Adamski) who said:

My name is Andrzej Adamski, I'm from Poland, Nicolas Copernicus University
. I would be very grateful for getting hints where to find  information on
the current EU encryption policy/ legislation.  What about present
developments in the area of the European  infrastructure of pubic (sic) key
look like?

Adam, the best place to start your research is at the "Cryptography in
Europe" website:

http://www.modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~avs/eu-crypto.html

To see the wider context, visit the "Crypto Law Survey" website  created by
Bert-Jaap Koops in the Netherlands, at:

http://cwis.kub.nl/~frw/people/koops/lawsurvy.htm

The EU and EC seem likely to cave in to pressure (blackmail?) from the
American
spy agencies and impose "back doors" on any  strong encryption package.
Unless Europeans stand up and insist that privacy of communication is an
essential human right.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Robert Horvitz, International Coordinator, OSI Internet Program Motokov
Building - Room 518, Na Strzi 63, 140 62 Praha 4, Czech Rep., tel 42 2
6114-2751, fax 6114-2750, email
horvitzr@omri.cz

----------

For more on cryptography and encryption, see the IPO search page at:

     http://www.ispo.cec.be/topic/simple.html

As an example, for artful use of crypto, see the "veincheck" proposal at:

    http://www.ispo.cec.be:81/ispo/lists/ispo/0252.html

Social Applications of Biometrics

Joe Rice (joerice@innotts.co.uk)
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 21:28:20 -0800

I would welcome some input to shape the following IT technology. The
technology is a physiological biometric based upon the detection and
comparison of subcutaneous blood vessels, essentially bar-code reading of
people.

Thread