1996-07-25 - remailer network/winsock remailers

Header Data

From: Sam Quigley <poodge@econ.Berkeley.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ebc833bac9229953fa7b604d6e3a9acb5108cf26d6e89fa27251756efe7f3cdc
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960725110229.10878A-100000@quesnay.Berkeley.EDU>
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 06:29:43 +0800

Raw message

From: Sam Quigley <poodge@econ.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 06:29:43 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: remailer network/winsock remailers

Hi,

I've been unsubscribed from the list for a while, and only recently
rejopined, so this issue may well have been addressed in my absence.  If
not, though, here:

It occurs to me that, with the invention of the winsock remailers, we
have the potential to establish a very widespread and distributed network
of part-time remailers.  Specifically, it seems like there are a lot of
users who are only connected to the internet for short periods (PPP/SLIP)
or who only have full control over their machines for short periods.
These computers could not normally be used to run remailers as mail
would bounce when the computer/remailer software is down.

If there were some sort of central registry where winsock (or other
non-permanent) remailers could announce their ability/inability to bounce
mail, email could be forwarded through these temporary remailers on a
dynamic basis.

I imagine the system would be something like this.  User X, a part-time
cypherpunk, turns on his PPP connection to get his internet fix.  When he
does, his remailer software connects to a central site and registers
itself, the software (and capabilities of the software) it's using, and
how many email messages (CPU time) X is willing to give up.  The registry
sends back a confirmation message, and adds X's computer to its list.
Now, when user Y wants to use the remailer network, she sends a message
through a series of remailers, one of which is the remailer network host
computer.  When the message gets to the host computer, the host looks at
its list and bounces the message randomly to one of the winsock
remailers.  In this way, people who can't ordinarily run a remailer can
still help out with the network, and the message becomes, ultimately,
much more untraceable because (ideally) there are tons of temporary
remailers that the message could have been sent to.  This could expand
the network by a lot...

I imagine precautions would have to be taken to ensure that temp.
remailers really are up and running (the host would have to ping remailer
computers regularly to ensure that none went down without informing the
host).  It would also be good if incoming messages to the host remailer
could specify how many hops it should take, whether or not it should be
subject to random delays / burst sends, and other options which haven't
occurred to me yet.

This can't be a new idea, though.  If something like this already exists,
please send me a pointer.  If not, I'd be willing to help develop a
protocol for client / server interaction.

-sq

Thread