1996-07-28 - Re: Olympic bombing

Header Data

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@use.usit.net>
To: Mike van der Merwe <mikev@is.co.za>
Message Hash: ed049754028b179069e186723e3028ddf2a15814edce1f0e4dd33b214f94fd0b
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960727215455.13339A-100000@use.usit.net>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.95.960727172741.11971E-100000@admin.is.co.za>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-28 03:39:31 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 11:39:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan@use.usit.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 11:39:31 +0800
To: Mike van der Merwe <mikev@is.co.za>
Subject: Re: Olympic bombing

Just heard Newt mumbling about the need for better intelligence
monitoring and *more* "anti-terrorist" legislation.

Bet you're right.

bd

On Sat, 27 Jul 1996, Mike van der Merwe wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I can just see the FBI screaming "we need weaker encryption to combat
> terrosism on US soil" with nasty effects -- it seems all to many people,
> lawmakers included, will be only to happy to sacrifice their privacy that
> the FBI can better combat these terrorist acts (which could *of course*
> could been prevented had only the FBI been able to read their encrypted
> mail...)
>
> Somehow I got the feeling watching CNN that the FBI was given a shitload
> of ammo. Call me cynical but the Reichstag fire comes to mind...
>
> Later
> Mike

> "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
>  safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin (1773)

Thread