1996-07-22 - Re: Boycotts and Etiquette

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
Message Hash: ed36af3b2196aca11ab128b8421104f1176fb5528ce3231ee46547c890ce4fc0
Message ID: <ae18f6fa06021004546b@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 03:54:14 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 03:54:14 +0800
To: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
Subject: Re: Boycotts and Etiquette

At 4:04 PM 7/22/96, Alan Horowitz wrote:
>My own decision to not interlocute with Sternlight is premised as
>follows:  His viewpoint is invariant and, by now, efficiently disseminated.
>Briefly, he is a Statist and he never heard of any degree of Statism that
>offends his sensibilities.  I understand he's old enough to have been
>around when Stalin was still running things in the USSR.  David probably
>was finding good things to say about Old Joe.  And more importantly,
>about J Edgar Hoover.

Actually, David came out _against_ both Digital Telephony and mandatory key
escrow, as I recall. For me, his process of conversion took entirely too
long, as most of saw in the ostensibly voluntary Clipper program the seeds
of a mandatory regimen. But he _did_ come out against these programs.

I think this refutes the point that he's never heard of any degree of
Statism that offends his sensibilities.

>I pay by the minute for my internet access; many others do as well. If I
>decide to ignore Sternlight, it is a business decision, not a moral one.

Understandable. I find that _writing_ an article, even a short one like
this, takes about as much time as adding 10 people to my filter file or
hitting the "delete" key 50 times, so filtering out stuff I don't want to
read has never been an issue.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!