1996-07-24 - RE: Brute Force DES

Header Data

From: Matt Thomlinson <mattt@microsoft.com>
To: “‘Ray Arachelian’” <sunder@dorsai.dorsai.org>
Message Hash: edbb183b13bb59102fcaa3fd8c798bd0ffd150bb2162de043114c9501f5ca1df
Message ID: <c=US%a=%p=msft%l=RED-77-MSG-960723231822Z-3820@tide21.microsoft.com>
Reply To: _N/A

UTC Datetime: 1996-07-24 13:01:29 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 21:01:29 +0800

Raw message

From: Matt Thomlinson <mattt@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 21:01:29 +0800
To: "'Ray Arachelian'" <sunder@dorsai.dorsai.org>
Subject: RE: Brute Force DES

well, first of all, I wasn't computing 2^40, I was computing something
like 2^(56*0.667) * 8bytes/each or somesuch, I don't recall exactly as I
don't have the paper in front of me. In any case, it was the tradeoff
between time and space -- 2^40 in time was something like 2^38th in
space. But don't trust my numbers, get the paper and rattle them off
yourself.

It just seems like if we're going to browse all of the way through the
DES keyspace, we _ought_ to take notes along the way -- that means
building a table. I don't care how big the table is; if it is only 2^30
entries (about 1G entries, each 8 bytes = 8Gig) we reduce our next DES
crack by a factor of 8. If we keep 2^31 entries (16Gig) we can cut it
down to 2^50, or a factor of 16. If we have 4 - 9 Gig drives (or perhaps
three drives and some wiggling, described below) we can save about 2^32
entries and the search becomes a measly 2^48. :)

To whittle this down to a 40-bit workload, we'd have to save 2^36
entries* 2^8 bytes/entry = 2^39 Bytes = 512 Gig. Yes, admittedly large.
What's the cheapest form of storage, magtape? How much can you store on
magtape? The entries can be sorted so that lookup doesn't take long even
when you have to mount tapes.

Wiggling:
We may be able to save less than 2^8 bytes/entry because we know the
quality that made the point interesting enough to save (say we only keep
points where the top 32 bits were zeros -- no need to save these zero
prefixes) but I suppose we'd only be able to cut this storage factor
down by a factor of two at most.

If you don't have Hellman's paper handy, the apropos formulas are:
Total time=T, memory=M, search space=N

Time/space tradeoff:
M=mt , T=t^2, m*t^2=N

In our case, N=2^56; M, T variable.