1996-07-02 - Re: PGP secret keys

Header Data

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
To: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
Message Hash: f0f9859d335f853f4d7bd194a0745e22064829b66a99851972503fa09adeb695
Message ID: <199607021427.KAA15410@toxicwaste.media.mit.edu>
Reply To: <199607021339.GAA02261@jobe.shell.portal.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-02 18:30:42 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 02:30:42 +0800

Raw message

From: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 02:30:42 +0800
To: anonymous-remailer@shell.portal.com
Subject: Re: PGP secret keys

> Could someone post a pointer to a FAQ that tells what to do if you loose
> your secret key file?  How can you regenerate your private key so that the
> userid number still matches the public key that has been distributed??

Pretty much you are SOL.  To re-create the secring from the pubring
you need to find the secret components of your secret key.  The only
known way of doing that is factoring you key.  How big is it?  If it
is in the range of 384-512 bits, then we can probably reproduce your
secring in about a year.  If its any bigger than that, all you can
really do is generate a new key.

You don't want to generate a key that has the same keyID, since it
wont be able to decrypt any messages that the old one could anyways.

Enjoy!

-derek

Thread