1996-07-31 - Re: Let’s Say “No!” to Single, World Versions of Software

Header Data

From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: f100b30729c5f0dac24bba29958ba7dd41f09ae7c88744fb5666e9e5b6a48b44
Message ID: <31FEAD9C.167E@netscape.com>
Reply To: <ae22e61d060210044d52@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-31 03:25:51 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 11:25:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Tom Weinstein <tomw@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 11:25:51 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Let's Say "No!" to Single, World Versions of Software

Timothy C. May wrote:

> It is imperative that Netscape, Microsoft, Qualcomm, and the other
> players be pressured/urged/cajoled to commit to introducing strong,
> unescrowed crypto for the *domestic* versions, even if not for export
> versions.

I'm surprised that you include Netscape in this list of companies.
We're already distributing strong unescrowed crypto in domestic version
of our products, and we will continue to do so.  What do you think we
have to be pressured into doing?

> I believe several signs are pointing to jockeying in the U.S. to get
> the major players in software to introduce "one version" programs with
> key escrow built in. While the avowed intent will be to stop _export_
> of unescrowed strong crypto, such a "one version" (interoperable)
> strategy would mean that key escrow is the de facto situation within
> the United States.

We won't do this.  Our domestic version will always contain the
strongest crypto we can provide.

--
You should only break rules of style if you can    | Tom Weinstein
coherently explain what you gain by so doing.      | tomw@netscape.com

Thread