1996-07-18 - Re: Metered Phone

Header Data

From: Remo Pini <rp@rpini.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f13fa422909e841647a82b89ab9be4492fe0519435416f0e56c1e52911e0ab48
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19960717115720.008caa88@193.246.3.200>
Raw Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:22:57 +0800

Raw message

From: Remo Pini <rp@rpini.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:22:57 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Metered Phone

At 12:45 AM 7/15/96 -0700, you wrote:
>At 01:19 PM 7/7/96 +0800, you wrote:
>>Does anyone have any ideas about this metered phone?
>>I am from Philippines and heard some news that it will be
>>existing in 1997. Quite a big problem! Every dial will be counted,
>>every seconds will be measured...
>
>That sounds like you're getting newer telephone technology.
>In the US, most areas with newer telephone switches offer you
>the choice of flat rate service (you pay a constant price per month
>Bill Stewart

Well, in Switzerland all telephon-switches (including the ones the company I
work with manufactures) record:
1. start of call
2. destination of call
3. source of call
4. end of call

After all, you can get a detailed list of all your calls by the end of the
month (the phonenumbers of the destination are somewhat obscured -> only the
first 4 digits).

So, hellcome to the new age of transparent customers!

As soon as you get digital switches (POTS or ISDN) your phonelife is
measured, stored and statistically evaluated.
----------< fate favors the prepared mind >----------
Remo Pini                      Fon 1: +41 1 350 28 82
mailto:rp@rpini.com            Fon 2: +41 1 465 31 90
http://www.rpini.com/remopini/ Fax:   +41 1 350 28 84
--------< words are what reality is made of >--------

Thread