1996-07-16 - Re: (fwd) krypt13i.zip Enkryptonator: Homonymous key encryption system, R. Newton

Header Data

From: Jeremey Barrett <jeremey@forequest.com>
To: Damaged Justice <frogfarm@yakko.cs.wmich.edu>
Message Hash: f13fac64a722a7c620ec33cca4d161a15485a681986e15345b69dc28ffa84c39
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.93.960715220946.5788A-100000@descartes.forequest.com>
Reply To: <199607152224.SAA04880@yakko.cs.wmich.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-16 15:38:04 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 23:38:04 +0800

Raw message

From: Jeremey Barrett <jeremey@forequest.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 23:38:04 +0800
To: Damaged Justice <frogfarm@yakko.cs.wmich.edu>
Subject: Re: (fwd) krypt13i.zip Enkryptonator: Homonymous key encryption system, R. Newton

I downloaded the thing... here's what I posted to sci.crypt:

Looks like snake oil to me... the whole thing comes down to each executable
having a unique "registration number" so that only that copy of the software
can decrypt with that "registration number".  You encrypt with a key
of between 5 and 10 text characters, and you provide the registration number
of the destination party. The "registration number" and key get combined
in some way to form the encryption key.  (Registration numbers are public
information).  Since ONLY ;) the destination party has the correct copy of
the software, only they can decrypt the data, hence the key can be passed
over an insecure channel. Heh. They say the encryption algorithm is a form
of substitution cipher.

SO.... since the "registration number" and key are public, the only thing
keeping this together is the lack of the algorithm, which of course doesn't
keep it together at all.

Fun...

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Damaged Justice wrote:

> [Anyone know more about this one? "Homonymous" in this context sounds a
> tad oily.]
>
> >From: mjk@reimari.uwasa.fi (Mika Koykka)
> Newsgroups: comp.archives.msdos.announce
> Subject: krypt13i.zip Enkryptonator: Homonymous key encryption system, R. Newton
> Date: 15 Jul 1996 11:32:39 +0300
>
> Thank you for your contribution. This upload is now available as
>  60605 Jul 2 22:10 ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/crypt/krypt13i.zip
>
> : Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 15:10:55 -0500
> : From: Enkryptonator <enkrypt@flash.net>
> : To: pc-up@uwasa.fi
> : Subject: krypt13i.zip Homonymous key encryption uploaded
> :
> : I mailed a previous Email today, but it contained a typo in the file name
> : uploaded.
> : this message contains no such typo.
> :
> : File name:
> :            KRYPT13i.ZIP
> :                       Enkryptonator: Homonymous key encryption system.
> : Replaces:
> :         KRYPT12.ZIP
> : Suggested Garbo directory:
> :         crypt
> : Uploader name & email:
> :         Richard Newton, enkrypt@flash.net
> : Author or author company:
> :         Richard Newton
> : Email address:
> :         enkrypt@flash.net
> : Surface address:
> :         Box 866292 Plano Tx 75086 USA.
> : Special requirements:
> :         Developed on MS-DOS 386 platform.
> :         Math co-processor recommended, but not required.
> : Shareware payment required from private users:
> :         Yes, but not from students.
> : Shareware payment required from corporates:
> :         Yes.
> : Distribution limitations:
> :         None
> : Garbo CD-ROM distribution allowed without extra preconditions:
> :         Yes.
> : Demo:
> :         No.
> : Nagware:
> :         No, Displays none of the behavior described in your
> :         instructions.
> : Self-documenting:
> :         Yes.
> : External documentation included:
> :         Yes, about 70Kb (unzipped).
> : Source included:
> :         No.
> : Size:
> :         60kb zipped.
> : 10 lines description:
> :
> : Enkryptonator is a newly developed encryption system based on the
> : principles of homonymous key cryptography invented by Enkryptonator Co.
> : Homonymous key systems are an exiciting, new breakthrough, that solve
> : the 'key management' problem without resorting to 'public key'
> : cryptography. No more unwieldy, impossible to remember, binary keys.
> : Enkryptonator is easy to use.  Because of Enkryptonator's unique design
> [...]

- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Jeremey Barrett
Senior Software Engineer			jeremey@forequest.com
The ForeQuest Company       			http://www.forequest.com/

   "less is more."
		-- Mies van de Rohe.

   Ken Thompson has an automobile which he helped design.  Unlike most
   automobiles, it has neither speedometer, nor gas gage, nor any of the
   numerous idiot lights which plague the modern driver.  Rather, if the
   driver makes any mistake, a giant "?" lights up in the center of the
   dashboard.  "The experienced driver", he says, "will usually know
   what's wrong."

		-- 'fortune` output

Thread