1996-07-16 - Further Trends in Key Escrow?

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f4653d4a0ce1d221e25510532ead685bc2555b229b8580f6bacca1ed0ba9a0b8
Message ID: <ae0fbf7b0602100466fc@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 08:20:53 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 08:20:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Further Trends in Key Escrow?

I'm watching a CNBC report about the NASDAQ market and proposed fixes to
certain alleged abuses about stock recommendations, bid-ask spreads,
brokers, etc.

One of the "industry" proposals involving taping the phone calls of NASDAQ
brokers. (The proposal: 10% of all calls to customers would be recorded for
later review.)

It occurs to me that wider taping/interception of communications could be a
consequence of a wide move toward "key escrow." And not just by
governments.

Once communications are "escrowed," the infrastructure for gaining access
to communications is available. Thus, professional associations may request
access, as with the NASDAQ talk of tapping the phone calls of brokers.

(To be clear, this is a tapping system which NASDAQ dealers would have to
agree to deploy in order to keep their affiliation; as this is ostensibly a
voluntary, non-coerced,  private arrangement, I don't argue it should be
outlawed. I don't like it, but my concern is elsewhere: namely, the
temptation to use a GAK system for these and similar purposes.)

The whole infrastructure of mandatory voluntary key escrow could allow all
sorts of special interest groups to ask for access and insist upon it with
their members, customers, and affiliates.

A danger to think about. Even if the non-government gakkings are ostensibly
voluntary, the effect would be a sea change in expectations of
communications privacy, with the key escrow infrastructure used to give
access to formerly secure communications to growing numbers of groups.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!