1996-07-31 - Re: VISA Travel Money

Header Data

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f9e8caa9b3eae46e672f812e4f77df727e03de9a88f0672de94b9d8d2beb3130
Message ID: <199607302214.PAA24454@netcom6.netcom.com>
Reply To: <199607302157.OAA25086@mail.pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-31 01:28:25 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 09:28:25 +0800

Raw message

From: mpd@netcom.com (Mike Duvos)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 09:28:25 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: VISA Travel Money

Jim Bell writes:

> Even if not, chances are good that "all" of the transactions can
> be linked together, even if they can't be directly linked to an
> identifiable person.  Doesn't sound too promising.

I think it will be a popular product.  Sort of the credit card
equivalent of the disposable phone card.

Since the transactions all involve the extraction of money, there
is really no record of your purchases.  The linking together of a
number of cash wishdrawals is not that big a deal, although they
could be used to track your movements if you did them in more than
one specific location.

There is also the problem of being photographed every time you use
an ATM, if you do not wish your identity known.

Still, for people who are not on the FBI's most wanted list, who
plan to completely exhaust the card in a single location, and who
dislike signing a huge bunch of Traveler's Checks at one time to
buy something, it sounds like something that might be handy to have.

     mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread