1996-07-16 - Re: Can’t block caller ID in Massachusetts?

Header Data

From: “Mark O. Aldrich” <maldrich@grci.com>
To: “Perry E. Metzger” <perry@piermont.com>
Message Hash: ff556fcca27baafd6dc40208ac5e9a1be867e1d5dc36a9e6962e9b6533fb44d0
Message ID: <Pine.SCO.3.93.960715171808.7563C-100000@grctechs.va.grci.com>
Reply To: <199607151636.MAA04446@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-16 05:47:47 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 13:47:47 +0800

Raw message

From: "Mark O. Aldrich" <maldrich@grci.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 13:47:47 +0800
To: "Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com>
Subject: Re: Can't block caller ID in Massachusetts?

On Mon, 15 Jul 1996, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Eric Murray writes:
> > When I called the Pac Bell customer service droids to get my "complete"
> > blocking I asked them why they won't block CID to 800 numbers.
> > Their answer: "that's just the way it works".
>
> There is a really easy reason for this.
>
> When you call an 800 number, the other guy gets billed. The person
> that gets billed has a legal right to know the call details of a toll
> call they are paying for. If you don't want them to know where you are
> calling from, don't ask them to pay for it.

Well put.  I guess a lot of folks forget the basic premise of an 800 call.
It's a non-operator assisted collect call and, _yes_, the calling party
should know who's calling so they can decide if they want to take the call
(yes, there are "out of service area" screening services already
available for inbound 800 numbers).

HOWEVER, ANI is available to anyone who wants to pay for it, not just
those folks with inbound 800 service.  Thus, I'd contend that there should
be ANI blocking services, but that they should not be used against 800
numbers.  This lack of anonymity via the phone service presents a
disturbing precedent in terms of it being used as model for the Internet,
particularly once "pay for it" services become more common.

|Just as the strength of the Internet is  |Mark Aldrich                 |
|chaos, so the strength of our liberty    |GRCI INFOSEC Engineering     |
|depends upon the chaos and cacophony of  |maldrich@grci.com            |
|the unfettered speech the First Amendment|MAldrich@dockmaster.ncsc.mil |
|protects - District Judge Stewart Dalzell|                             |
|The author is PGP Empowered.  Public key at:  finger maldrich@grci.com |
|    The opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the author     |
|         and my employer gets no credit for them whatsoever.           |