1996-08-01 - Jim Bell, stay out of Georgia….

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0172639e3bf440bce08dbabc395ce485a2c6b7654b10afbd9ee930ee5a262404
Message ID: <01I7RJRMNIE88Y4XIK@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 06:56:21 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 06:56:21 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Jim Bell, stay out of Georgia....

	They're arresting this guy because he had one mention of a Molotov
Cocktail? Why am I reminded of the Haymarket trials? Where's a Governor
Altgeld when you need him? Admittedly, this guy doesn't seem too bright... but
if that were a reason to lock him up, the prisons would be even more crowded
than they are now.
	-Allen

>Anarchist charged with advocating government overthrow

>   _(c) Copyright 1996 Nando.net _

>    New York Times

>   JONESBORO, Ga. -- An 18-year-old self-styled anarchist who allegedly
>   distributed a free, homemade pamphlet with anti-government rhetoric
>   has been charged with advocating the overthrow of the U.S. government.

[...]

>   Clayton County police Lt. Larry Gibson said Moreland turned himself in
>   Sunday. Authorities obtained an arrest warrant for Moreland Saturday
>   after the pipe bombing at Centennial Olympic Park, although police say
>   they don't think he played any role in the crime.

>   "He told us he was only interested in destroying property, and I don't
>   think he fully understands the ramifications," Gibson said. "Whatever
>   he was up to, we wanted to nip it in the bud."

>   Moreland had been under investigation since July 8 when authorities
>   received a copy of a pamphlet called "Rise Above." Police traced the
>   pamphlets to a mail box service in a shopping center allegedly rented
>   in Moreland's name.

>   The pamphlet was laced with with anti-police cartoons, obscenities,
>   and anarchist slogans. The one overt reference to violence was an
>   illustration of a "Molotov cocktail" on the same sheet with a recipe
>   for "soy milk" made from water-soaked soybeans, sugar and vanilla and
>   strained through a T-shirt.

Thread