1996-08-06 - Re: Credit Cards over the internet

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: Vinnie Moscaritolo <net-thinkers@thumper.vmeng.com
Message Hash: 0699b71d188e1ee3c0861765e3a870e11b54f775b448a04c50e3051a2b687e1a
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960806064420.00af96e8@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 17:18:51 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 17:18:51 +0800
To: Vinnie Moscaritolo <net-thinkers@thumper.vmeng.com
Subject: Re: Credit Cards over the internet

At 02:46 PM 8/5/96 -0800, Vinnie Moscaritolo wrote:
>Just read a forwarded message from a merchant who indicated that:

{credit card hastles deleted]

I have been having some similar hastles setting up a site for credit card
usage.  It seems that the credit card companies are confused between
protecting cards over the net and validating credit card information.  (Two
entirly different problems.)  The broker we are going through seems to have
gotten a few clues, but it is taking ALOT of explaining.  (The site will be
running Stronghold when we are able to process credit cards. We are
currently running Apache 1.1.)  Actually I am having a harder time getting
through to the sysadmin at the host site why we need a commerce server than
I am with the credit card company...

It sounds like the scare stories on the news have taken their toll.
---
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."

Thread