1996-08-12 - Re: US Power Outages

Header Data

From: ericd@shop.internet.net (Eric Davis)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0e74806a02b1f2febd811bb85be3f2c7201a097c1a191a1223fee44e3511c568
Message ID: <v02140b01ae3515f69181@[192.195.4.226]>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 06:17:55 +0800

Raw message

From: ericd@shop.internet.net (Eric Davis)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 06:17:55 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: US Power Outages

Also remember that you have to deal with capacitive/bleedoff issues as well.

It is hard to throw the off switch to an active 500,000 volt/??amp
transmission line, esp under heavy load. The power in transit has
gotta go somewhere.

This gets even more fun when you deal with long haul DC transmission
systems. These systems are the basis for a *very* large capacitor.
MILES of flown wire, air dielectric, and earth.

As metioned below, most all of the protection systems are in the
"protect my local equipment" mode.

So what do you do? The basis today is to watch voltage, current, and
waveform (freq/shape stability). "Protect mode" happens if one is too far
out of wack.

It would take far too much time to cross ref local data against other
remote monitoring stations to confirm validity. The time required to check
the data
would result in local system damage. Lets also not forget to protect the
power yard worker(s) standing under the entrance busses when the surge comes
knocking!

Eric

Eric Davis                        ericd@cyberfarm.com
Co-Founder MediaCast:       http://www.mediacast.com/