1996-08-01 - Re: fbi, crypto, and defcon

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Cerridwyn Llewyellyn <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 11d93fd1fed4c46be0859c97d5e2141c5b4fcd6c5dcae79dd1c0f5c8b2c41507
Message ID: <199608011621.JAA28782@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 04:39:35 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 04:39:35 +0800
To: Cerridwyn Llewyellyn <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: fbi, crypto, and defcon

At 10:13 PM 7/31/96 -0700, Cerridwyn Llewyellyn wrote:

>A more cynical view is that they are there to protect some of the biggest
>institutions of "organized crime" (ie: Congress, At&t, Microsoft, etc) who
>are ripping people off on a daily basis from the other organizations who
>refuse to play by their rules.

Speaking of AT+T, as I recall one of the incidents which preceded the
introduction of Clipper was the news that AT+T was going to introduce an
encrypted telephone using DES as the encryption algorithm.  According to the
story, AT+T was "bought off" by the US government.   I haven't looked into
that for a couple of years, but if we're looking for co-conspirators that
would be a good place to start.

Also:  Clipper was fabbed by VLSI Technology.  A few pointed inquiries might
work wonders here.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread