1996-08-17 - Re: Triple DES Encryption Now Available For Telephone Privacy Protection

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Eric Blossom <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 13ef2f50fa4a42db2adb58efb734d54dcb0ebbdc9bb9c348600867dc96067378
Message ID: <199608170629.XAA16771@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 16:20:21 +0800

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 16:20:21 +0800
To: Eric Blossom <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Triple DES Encryption Now Available For Telephone Privacy Protection

At 03:04 PM 8/16/96 -0700, Eric Blossom wrote:
>Communication Security Corporation
>
>For More Information: Eric Blossom (707) 577-0409
>Press Contact:  Terri Thatcher (408) 265-7703
>Triple DES Encryption Now Available For Telephone Privacy Protection
>Santa Rosa, Calif., August 16, 1996, -- The Communication Security
>Corporation today announced availability of the CS8191. The first
>telephone security device built using uncompromised cryptography,
>based on 168--bit key triple DES.
>
>Triple DES encryption technology provides an uncompromised level of
>security (72 quadrillion times stronger against a brute force attack)
>than products based on the US Data Encryption Standard (single DES).
>In addition, unlike the government's "Clipper" proposal, the CS8191
>does not reveal or "escrow" the encryption keys with third parties.

So does this use that previously-announced NTT encryption chip?

>The CS8191 has been designed to work with conventional analog
>telephone systems (POTS).  The unit connects between your telephone
>and the wall. In 'clear' mode, your telephone continues to work as it
>normally does. Pressing the 'go secure' button encrypts
>conversations. Communication Security has also incorporated a
>leading-edge speech coder.  Voice clarity is undisturbed whether the
>system is in 'secure' or 'clear' mode.

Is this some sort of standardized interface?  Or are we in for the crypto
equivalent of the Tower of Babel?

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread