1996-08-29 - Reg E changes

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 14eb3b76da10aa3b69bba08e66f575bd4f7a8aecd40c47dface2862e20cdd696
Message ID: <v03007809ae4a16f27053@[206.119.69.46]>
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 08:39:28 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 08:39:28 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Reg E changes

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 11:21:09 -0700
To: rah@shipwright.com
From: Somebody

Bob,

If you have not already done so, please submit a public comment re: the
proposed Reg E changes [Docket No. R-0919]. The deadline is September 7th.
You may want to announce this to other fans of bearer certs.

Thanks to my friends at the Fed, I am in possession of comments already
submitted. The opposition is trying to get the Fed to not make the proposed
account/non-account based distinction when deciding what is covered under
Reg E, but instead use a $ cap. The logic is that there is an account
anyway, be it on the card (such as the record of the total on a prepaid card
that is used for paying subway fares) or be it at the bank.

We need to make sure that the supporters of non-book entry systems make
their voices heard.

When writing the comment, please include a request to do away with the hard
copy signature requirements for opening accounts. If the Fed gets enough
requests, they will include it in the next round of proposals.

-- Somebody

--- end forwarded text

Robert Hettinga (rah@shipwright.com)
e$, 44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA
"'Bart Bucks' are not legal tender."
                -- Punishment, 100 times on a chalkboard,
                       for Bart Simpson
The e$ Home Page: http://www.vmeng.com/rah/

Thread