1996-08-12 - Edited Edupage, 11 Aug 1996

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 171fbae2cad29ab536285358f13463dba92a2eadd6fe5e153854fe3f8ea7fbbf
Message ID: <01I85ZST2Z8O9JD53S@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:03:52 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 14:03:52 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Edited Edupage, 11 Aug 1996

>From:	IN%"educom@educom.unc.edu" 11-AUG-1996 20:55:02.08
>Subj:	Edupage, 11 August 1996

>Edupage, 11 August 1996.  Edupage, a summary of news about information
>technology, is provided three times a week as a service by Educom,
>a Washington, D.C.-based consortium of leading colleges and universities
>seeking to transform education through the use of information technology.

>U.K. INTERNET PROVIDERS PLAN TO RESTRICT CYBERPORN
>Reacting to pressure from Scotland Yard, the Internet Service Providers
>Association, representing 60 of an estimated 140 providers in the United
>Kingdom, will be asking its members to voluntarily block access to sites
>and services featuring hard-core pornography.  An executive of Demon
>Internet, which has the largest subscriber base in the U.K., dismisses the
>proposed action as ineffective:  "This is not a solution, it is just hiding
>the problem."  (Financial Times 10 Aug 96)

	I suspect that the largest subscriber base is about to get larger...

>PRIVACY VS. FREEDOM-OF-INFORMATION ON THE WEB
>A computer consultant in Oregon paid the state $222 for its complete motor
>vehicles data base, which he then posted to a Web site, prompting charges
>of privacy violations from people who complained that he had invaded their
>privacy.  The database allows anyone with an Oregon license plate number to
>look up the vehicle owner's name, address, birthdate, driver's license
>number, and title information.  The consultant's motive in posting the
>information, which anyone can obtain for a fee by going to a state office,
>was to improve public safety by allowing identification of reckless
>drivers.  Oregon Governor John Kitzhaver says that instant access to motor
>vehicle records over the Internet is different from information access
>obtained by physically going to state offices and making a formal request
>for information:  ``I am concerned that this ease of access to people's
>addresses could be abused and present a threat to an individual's safety.''
>(Associated Press 8 Aug 96)

	At least they mentioned that it was publically available... but I don't
see any difference between net.availability and physical.availability.
	-Allen