1996-08-07 - Apple people on the list

Header Data

From: jon@taurus.apple.com (Jon Callas)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1b14eaa773a149e9123bc7957dc3397a314e34f80bf32d2ebed63e99d06d1f86
Message ID: <v02130504ae2d6c856d70@[17.130.22.227]>
Raw Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 18:18:23 +0800

Raw message

From: jon@taurus.apple.com (Jon Callas)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 18:18:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Apple people on the list

A quick response to Tim May's recent mail.

I'm an Apple employee. I'm on the cypherpunks list, but I'm not sure if Tim
would consider me active. I read cypherpunks on one of the edited versions
(the "frogfarm" edition, many thanks to its editor, Damaged Justice), but I
subscribe to and read Coderpunks. I do, however write software and papers on
security and crypto. I have done so for over six years.

One of the reasons I subscribe to Cypherpunks is, in fact, Tim May. Whenever
I see something he's written, I read it, which is more than I can say for
most of Cypherpunks. When I was getting all of Cypherpunks, I used Tim's
messages as navigation buoys.

I am disappointed that Tim won't be at the Mac Crypto conference. I thought
it was an excellent idea for him to speak, and think it would still be an
excellent idea. I would like to hear his views in a forum more detailed than
the short things that go on Cypherpunks. As for me, I'm going to be giving a
talk at the conference on using, abusing, and constructing random number
generators. The talk is an updated reprise of the talk and paper I gave at
MacHack '96.

A number of us would also like to hear Tim speak. I'm sure that as a
consulting fee we can come up with enough t-shirts and beer that it will make
the drive back over 17 even more harrowing than it usually is. I'll toss in a
copy of the Macintosh Entropy Manager, but since I'm giving it away to anyone
who wants it, it's not much. Perhaps I can autograph a floppy or something.

        Jon Callas
        Senior Scientist
        Apple Labs, Advanced Communications and Collaboration
        jon@taurus.apple.com
        http://www.merrymeet.com/jon

Thread