1996-08-31 - Re: FC: The end of an era: anon.penet.fi shutdown, Stockholm conf

Header Data

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
Message Hash: 2f15a552dd4f153678409ab3637f443f81600cef0c73a40e81ab86da861d003a
Message ID: <199608312127.PAA16191@InfoWest.COM>
Raw Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 07:29:25 +0800

Raw message

From: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 1996 07:29:25 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
Subject: Re: FC: The end of an era: anon.penet.fi shutdown, Stockholm conf

Addressed to: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
              Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>

= The shutdown of anon.penet.fi marks an end of an era -- and perhaps it was
= inevitable.  [--snip--]
= But the closure isn't a permanent loss to the Net. The concept behind
= deploying anonymous remailers is that [--snip--]
= ...they're temporary and expendable -- if one government attacks a
= remailer, another appears in another jurisdiction. [--snip--] it was
= time for Helsingus' remailer to go offline. It had served its purpose.
=

    Declan:

        I think you are missing the most import service that
    Johan Helsingius provided:  a means of anonymous corres-
    pondence with services for victims of child abuse, domestic
    violence, alcholism, etc.  *** people who needed to reach
    out to someone ***

        I fully subscribe to the Cypherpunk remailers, particu-
    lary MixMaster and Middleman, but they do not serve this
    purpose.

        However, maybe as part of social responsibility, we
    should provide one or more remailers with databases --and
    EXCLUDE addressing except to the help lines.  and, of
    course, make it easy enough for the victims to request
    additional addresses.

        yes, it may take a little effort to upgrade the target
    addresses, etc. but it should be done.

        noone knows what the courts will rule on any matter of
    privacy with Bubba at the helm, but correspondence to
    shelters and the like has been adjudicated off-limits to
    FOI, etc.

        I will speak to several ISPs, and if one of them will
    permit me to accept the "responsibility,"   I will initiate
    one. I have no problem defending it legally.

        attila

--
Now, with a black jack mule you wish to harness, you walk up,
look him in the eye, and hit him with a 2X4 over the left eye.

Thread