1996-08-13 - Re: National Socio-Economic Security Need for Encryption Technology

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: bart.croughs@tip.nl>
Message Hash: 31e2a8edf83e0f6c0c79e497f9c3b98c45ba62fed3c05f8bca36f9043a9d1d9c
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960813100507.00a3f8d8@panix.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 00:46:08 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 00:46:08 +0800
To: bart.croughs@tip.nl>
Subject: Re: National Socio-Economic Security Need for Encryption Technology

At 08:02 PM 8/11/96 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>I failed to note obvious counterexamples. Well known authors get giant
>advances for books written with manual typewriters. Minimum wage
>workers routinely operate expensive equipment. Workers doing the same
>job in different places using identical equipment that cost identical
>sums earn different salaries.
>
>Clearly, wages are defined by supply and demand -- not by "capital
>investment".

In the long run, employers will bid wages up to the level of discounted
value of marginal product of the labor -- the present value of the future
"price" of the increase in output ascribable to the added worker.

It never ceases to amaze me that there are people in this country who
actually believe that the average American in poorer now than in 1970.  I
can only be those who were unconscious in 1970.

DCF

Thread