1996-08-27 - Re: Microsoft Explorer security hole (fwd) MSoft’s reply…

Header Data

From: bf578@scn.org (SCN User)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 33fc506ba95d44d9e2865403743699e2881d7aad1c69a00adfb799f28124fa49
Message ID: <199608270144.SAA18367@scn.org>
Raw Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 17:21:53 +0800

Raw message

From: bf578@scn.org (SCN User)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 17:21:53 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Microsoft Explorer security hole (fwd) MSoft's reply...

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 15:49:33 -0700
From: Thomas Reardon <thomasre@MICROSOFT.com>
Subject: Re: Internet Explorer security problem (Felten, RISKS-18.36)

  >We have discovered a security flaw in the current version (3.0) of
  >Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser running under Windows 95.  An
  >attacker could exploit the flaw to run any DOS command on the machine
  >of an Explorer user who visits the attacker's page.

We now post the virus warning dialog on local files (file: urls).  We have
always posted it on remote files (http: urls).  Note that the root of the
problem is not Java or the browser, but in macro-enabled applications.  IE3
has a mechanism to warn users about safety of documents when used with
common macro-enabled applications.  We are have updated Microsoft Word such
that by default it will not run macros embedded in documents.

-Thomas

There are no facts, only interpretations.

I always wanted to be somebody,

Thread