1996-08-19 - Re: CS First Boston lawsuit

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 36a95a28ec07f7535aeffb4a2f6b854c49b7e5d35d79d33c5e9b28d62c0e3f41
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.94.960819120150.9756A-100000@polaris>
Reply To: <ae3d43f90a021004dcf8@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-19 19:36:29 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 03:36:29 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 03:36:29 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: CS First Boston lawsuit

On Sun, 18 Aug 1996, Timothy C. May wrote:

> At 3:29 AM 8/19/96, Alan Horowitz wrote:
> >I suspect they are trying to get a judgement against "John Doe", in the
> >hopes of tracking him down later.
> >
> >Actually, if I had a sizeable judgement against such a John Doe, I could
> >probably find a private detective who would find the dude for a
> >contingent fee. Wow, a whole new class of factoring (commerce definition)
> >opens up. Get me a lawyer....
>
> Lawyers out there can and should correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't
> believe either the criminal or civil justice system has the concept of a
> "John Doe" trial! The ability to have the advice of an attorney, to
> confront one's accusers, cross-examine witnesses, and mount a defense, and
> all that constitutional stuff. Rather hard to do if the trial is in the
> past tense.
>
> Can you cite an example of such a "John Doe" trial in the U.S.?

Not exactly, but judgements against John Doe's or even "$956,334.34" are
common.  Typically they are default judgements where a property seizure is
involved.

"The United States of America v. $534,444.00" and "The United States of
AMerica v. One Red Porsche" is a common theme.

--
I hate lightning - finger for public key - Vote Monarchist
unicorn@schloss.li

Thread