1996-08-13 - Re: PGP…

Header Data

From: Sean Walberg <umwalber@cc.UManitoba.CA>
To: sasa.roskar@uni-lj.si
Message Hash: 4583ad9a77a17d5caa42d49cadb3031f1032f7261746fadfc5a1e418a05a78f8
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.960813085749.9206A-100000@merak.cc.umanitoba.ca>
Reply To: <009A6C9C.E823907E.18@uni-lj.si>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-13 19:42:00 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 03:42:00 +0800

Raw message

From: Sean Walberg <umwalber@cc.UManitoba.CA>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 03:42:00 +0800
To: sasa.roskar@uni-lj.si
Subject: Re: PGP...

Nope.  With PGP you get 2 keys... One you keep secret (secret key), the
other you make public (public key).  This way, if I want to send you a
message, I don't need to talk to you to arrange for a session key or any
passcodes, because PGP takes care of it.

Say you wanted to send me a message...

You check your keyring (pgp -kv), but alas my key isn't there.  So you go
to the keyserver (http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html), and
retreive my key into a file (sean.asc).  Then you run pgp on it (pgp
sean.asc) and it gets integrated into your keyring.

Now you type your message to me, and encrypt it with *my* public key, and
*sign it with your private key* (pgp -sea message_to_sean.txt 0xD12B3419).
Then you send it off to me.  (The 0xD12B3419 is my key id, and is
displayed when you play with my key)

When I get it, I can export it to a file (message.asc), and run pgp on it
(pgp message.asc).  Hey, it is signed, so I grab your key from the
server, and pgp message.asc it again.  Since you encrypted it with my
public key, _only my secret key_ can decrypt it, not even you can see
it!  Also, since only you have access to your secret key, (if your
signature checks out), I know it had to have been you who wrote the
message and it was not tampered with.  (To be technically correct, I
don't exactly know it was you, since I haven't trusted your key at this
point, but we'll let that one slide)

- From this point, we can send and receive messages pretty easily, since we
don't have to snarf keys.  It is also a bit easier than I make it out to
be, because there are many automation tools out there for pgp.

Sean

On Tue, 13 Aug 1996 sasa.roskar@uni-lj.si wrote:

> I'm confused.... if you don't want people to be able to read your
> email, you code it with PGP or other encoders... but why give away
> your key on your website to everyone? That makes your email readable
> to everyone... doesn't it? Oh well... I hope someone can explain this
> to me...
>
> Roki

Sean Walberg                              umwalber@cc.umanitoba.ca
The Web Guy                  http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umwalber
UNIX Group, U. of Manitoba          PGP Key Available from Servers

Thread