1996-08-13 - Re: photographed license plates

Header Data

From: JonWienk@ix.netcom.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 45d38dcb1fa7d7115663284bf067153516ba17423399464a5027f919afd1a716
Message ID: <199608130335.UAA03631@dfw-ix9.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <1.5.4.16.19960811231209.3c677258@arc.unm.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-13 10:13:30 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 18:13:30 +0800

Raw message

From: JonWienk@ix.netcom.com
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 18:13:30 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: photographed license plates

At 08.23 AM 8/9/96 -0700, i am not a number! wrote:
>O, and I think they're talking more about putting up cameras at some
>troubling intersections to take pictures of cars running red-lights.

http://www.panix.com/~sshah/ss-nyred.htm gives a detailed listing of New York
City intersections where this is already being done.

http://www.eng.uci.edu/vtm/freeway.html describes the techniques used to monitor
traffic speeds, etc. with a camera. Includes several pictorial examples.

http://www.azfms.com/faq.html (Arizona DOT) gives some interesting (but suspect)
info about freeway / camera interaction, as well as a bunch of traffic webcams
and links to similar sites. The claim is made that license plates can only be
read by the camera when a vehicle is stopped...

http://www.best.com/%7Elspencer/geoch/ is a page hawking remote sensor devices
(Butt-Sniffers) for identifying "gross polluter' vehicles. These same sensors
are being deployed on California freeways in the Bay Area, and owners of "gross
polluting" vehicles receive citations in the mail. The page includes details on
the advantages of large companies using Butt-Sniffers on their employees'
vehicles. "By finding gross polluting employee vehicles via remote sensing, and
selectively repairing or scrapping them, the employer can gain AVR compliance."
A great example of the (not-so) subtle arm-twisting CARB is doing to implement
Smog Check II...

http://www.primenet.com/~rstbear/biffl.html Biff the Bear's Potty Cam! A great
place for car-grabbing (and most other) bureaucrats to go.
Jonathan Wienke

"Today Americans would be outraged if U.N. troops entered Los Angeles to restore
order; tomorrow they will be grateful! This is especially true if they were told
there was an outside threat from beyond, whether real or promulgated, that
threatened our very existence. It is then that all peoples of the world will
pledge with world leaders to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every
man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenarios, individual rights
will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well being granted to
them by their world government."
--Henry Kissinger in an address to the Bilderberg organization meeting at Evian,
France, May 21, 1992. Transcribed from a tape recording made by one of the Swiss
delegates.

"A conservative is a liberal who got mugged last night."
--Lee Rodgers

Key fingerprint =  30 F9 85 7F D2 75 4B C6  BC 79 87 3D 99 21 50 CB

Thread