1996-08-28 - [Noise] Re: SCO giving free licenses to UNIX OpenServer

Header Data

From: jfricker@vertexgroup.com (John F. Fricker)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4b5c37c788ecdddfb7ee37a2c3f774514a4498f48d0e034cb6c19f8a98ef288c
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960828163200.00707ea8@vertexgroup.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 03:51:13 +0800

Raw message

From: jfricker@vertexgroup.com (John F. Fricker)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 03:51:13 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: [Noise] Re: SCO giving free licenses to UNIX OpenServer

Free evaluation is hardly a threat.

"SCO today announced plans to provide a free license
to use its popular UNIX systems, including SCO OpenServer and SCO UnixWare,
to anyone in the world who wants to use them for
educational and non-commercial use to enable the evaluation and
understanding of UNIX systems."

Hmmmmm. I don't even think that could qualify as a threat to Linux let alone
Microsoft.

The rest of "Unix Unbound" reads like an overpriced, underexperienced
marketeer wetdream filled with empowering bold moves, 20 years of this and
60 billion of that. The comparison with AT&T's similar move 25 years ago is
essential market-speak. Any student of posturing should study this.

At 08:05 AM 8/28/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hit www.sco.com
>
>Pick What's New
>
>Look for UNIX Unbound.
>
>Read, Understand, and Delight... Microsoft maybe in trouble at last.
>
>This is for single user home based UNIX systems.
>
>Was announced August 19, don't know how long this is to happen.

Thread