1996-08-01 - Republican convention security

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 516107d87b5df1763518b7f389af88718bf94cf835053147800ee3380eb9582c
Message ID: <01I7RLOILMNG8Y4XIK@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 07:27:51 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 07:27:51 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Republican convention security

	Why am I not reassured by what convention Chuck Vance participated in
in the 1960's? And why do I suspect that the ADF calls a militia any group of
people who have a political viewpoint different from theirs and might be
armed (including via martial arts)?
	-Allen

>   Cobb Group - Netscape

>     SECURITY OUTSIDE THE CONVENTION HALLS IS FOCUS IN SAN DIEGO, CHICAGO

>      Copyright &copy 1996 Nando.net
>      Copyright &copy 1996 The Associated Press

[...]

>   WASHINGTON (Aug 1, 1996 10:29 a.m. EDT) -- Beach parties, concerts and
>   fund-raisers will lure delegates from the air-conditioned halls of the
>   Republican and Democratic conventions next month, and officials say
>   keeping these off-site venues safe will be one of their biggest
>   challenges.

[...]

>   Convention security used to focus on foiling a lone individual bent on
>   disrupting the meeting, but now groups like anti-government militias
>   are more of a worry, said Chuck Vance. The former Secret Service agent
>   helped coordinate security for the 1968 Democratic meeting in Chicago
>   that was punctuated by anti-war protests.

[...]

>   Statistics give little reason for security planners to breath easy.

>   A recent study by the Anti-Defamation League said the number of
>   antigovernment militia groups in California jumped from two in 1994 to
>   35 last year.

>   And in San Diego County, one to five actual or suspected pipe bomb
>   incidents are reported every week, and a total of 32 hand grenade
>   incidents were reported in the first four months of this year, the
>   sheriff's department said. Six pipe bombs have exploded already this
>   year; there were seven in all of 1995. None were targeted at
>   government buildings.

>    Copyright &copy 1996 Nando.net

Thread