1996-08-14 - Re: [NOISE] Re: photographed license plates

Header Data

From: Martin Minow <minow@apple.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 56897fc99594e7316ae2ad62b659cdd738337d31e2fa99456c181ccdd7c4881f
Message ID: <v03007802ae36fdc0b789@[17.219.103.200]>
Reply To: <v02140b00ae36c4403679@[204.179.128.40]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-14 06:36:39 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 14:36:39 +0800

Raw message

From: Martin Minow <minow@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 14:36:39 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [NOISE] Re: photographed license plates

Regarding photographing cars for speeding, mccoy@communities.com (Jim McCoy)
notes that a drive could challenge a photo ticket by stating that

>"it was not me driving when that photo was taken"

When this was tried in (I believe) Sweden, the driver was told that
the ticked would be canceled.

Then, he was told that henceforth, he would be *required* to maintain
a log of precisely who was driving, the date, time, and the beginning and
ending odomoter. Required, that is, as a condition of keeping his license.
And that he must produce this log whenever a police officer requested it.

Amazing how this improved the driver's memory.

There is another problem that these tickets could cause. (This could
be an urban legend, of course): a former work collegue was speeding
in Switzerland. His wife opened the letter with the ticket -- and
photograph. The passenger was not his wife, and the location differed
from where my former collegue's wife expected her (soon to be former)
husband to be.

Drive carefully.

Martin Minow
minow@apple.com