1996-08-28 - Re: File System Encryption

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: jburrell@crl.com (Jason Burrell)
Message Hash: 5bba1b9a5603f586c1d19c51ada38d3c5af6ee97069cbd35491373f67bc50602
Message ID: <199608281505.KAA03928@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.91.960828042422.29651A-100000@crl.crl.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-28 18:46:52 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 02:46:52 +0800

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 02:46:52 +0800
To: jburrell@crl.com (Jason Burrell)
Subject: Re: File System Encryption

Jason Burrell wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Douglas R. Floyd wrote:
>
> > > I may have to consider this approach. I'll have to look into Ian's system.
> > > Does it pass muster with the crypto gods? (that's meant as a compliment
> > > guys :)
> >
> > It uses IDEA in a decently secure manner, as well as TDES.  You can also
> > mount .au files as filesystems, and the data will be hidden in the sound
> > file.
> >
> > (Last place I remember Ian's loop.c and des patches for Linux was on
> > ftp.csua.berkeley.edu, /pub/cypherpunks/<somewhere>)
> >

> ftp.csua.berkeley.edu:/pub/cypherpunks/filesystems/linux.

Anyone had any luck with ftp.csua.berkeley.edu? My ftp client says
that "client not responding to commands, hanging up".

What is wrong?

igor

> I haven't looked through the code very hard yet, but I do wonder how the
> passphrase and such is stored. If I run losetup and setup
> /root/stego_file.au as a filesystem on /dev/loop0, does that get stored
> anywhere that isn't secure from non-root processes, or that is kept after
> the filesystem is unmounted? I figure the passphrase definately is removed
> as soon as the filesystem is unmounted, and that this is stored in
> protected kernel memory.

	- Igor.

Thread