1996-08-09 - Edited Edupage, 1-Aug-1996

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5c0ada2dea490dbbc1dedd3054a16a616da5a66d210035d5693b88c5159d5e48
Message ID: <01I81HBZJJWK9JD3GI@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 11:18:09 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 11:18:09 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Edited Edupage, 1-Aug-1996

From:	IN%"educom@educom.unc.edu"  1-AUG-1996 17:11:49.07

>Edupage, 1 August 1996.  Edupage, a summary of news about information
>technology, is provided three times a week as a service by Educom,
>a Washington, D.C.-based consortium of leading colleges and universities
>seeking to transform education through the use of information technology.

[...]

>CELLULAR PHONE COMPANIES FIGHT CLONING
>To fight the illegal practice called "cloning," cellular telephone carriers
>will be adopting new "smart phone" technology intended to foil high-tech
>criminals by matching calls with encoded passwords.  In cloning, pirates
>use portable scanners and computers to intercept the cellular phone user's
>phone and serial numbers as they are being broadcast to a transmitting
>tower or "cell site."   The new digital phones will contain a non-clonable
>''smart cards'' that encrypt the identifying information to prevent
>scanners from eavesdropping or cloning the customer's telephone number.
>(San Jose Mercury News 1 Aug 96)

	It sounds like the "smart cards" will have some chip oddities to try
to prevent reading them - something in TCMay's department. I do wonder whether
they're going to have one key for all of them, or differing keys for each user.
If the former, then cracking one (which I get the impression is quite possible)
equals cracking all, of course.

>G7 LEADERS & THE INTERNET
>Experts on electronic communications said ideas presented by G7 leaders for
>fighting terrorism  by restricting access to the Internet are "naive and
>probably unworkable" because there are too many ways to circumvent
>censorship on the Net to believe regulation could prevent terrorists from
>using the technology for communications.  (Toronto Globe & Mail 1 Aug 96
>A4)

	Yes... although it could be rather inconvenient.

>CANADIAN SERVICE PROVIDERS TACKLE OBJECTIONABLE MATERIAL
>Canadian access providers are developing guidelines for dealing with
>potentially objectionable material and have set up a code of conduct
>committee, with goals that include establishing guidelines members can use
>to determine if information stored on their servers is illegal.  (Toronto
>Globe & Mail 1 Aug 96 B1)

[...]

>CERTIFIED WEB SITES
>The National Computer Security Association in Carlisle, PA., will certify
>that a Web site meets minimum security specifications, including the
>presence of firewalls, use of passwords, and encryption of sensitive data
>transmission.  Certifications costs $8500 a year and requires that the site
>submit to remote tests, an NCSA site visit, and random compliance audits.
>(Computerworld 29 Jul 96 p2)

	One hopes that the level of encryption will be required to be above
single DES, at least...