1996-08-19 - The “Best” as the Enemy of the “Pretty Good”

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5d483aeb102c43b893158f69b2a679e7daba8d13e25e2c2b6452735e3b491447
Message ID: <ae3e02ce12021004b2c4@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 07:07:13 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 07:07:13 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: The "Best" as the Enemy of the "Pretty Good"

Pretty Good Privacy, Pretty Good Remailers, Pretty Good Digital Cash,
Pretty Good Data Haven, .....

One of the main lessons of evolutioary learning theory (aka evolutionary
game theory, market learning, Darwinian selection, and related variants) is
that getting something out early is often more important than getting it
"right." Rigor is important, but, interestingly, rigor is often
best-established in an evolutionary learning environment. (We build
machines and buildings not based on first doing exhaustive analyses for
centuries, but on building actual instances and learning from
mistakes...bridges that fail, buildings that collapse, planes that crash.)

A recent example of this is the Xanadu project, whose members worked for
many years (and spent something like $7 million) to get all the long-range,
rigorous details of hypertext "right"...and were then "scooped" by Tim
Berners-Lee with his simple and straightforward HTML/URL approach. (I am
not basing this analysis on the hatchet jobs done in the press on Ted
Nelson and the other Xanafolks, but on personal contacts with many of them,
including an identical analysis from Mark Miller at an Extropaganza this
past Saturday.)

Another example is that of remailers. There is no denying that "DC-Nets"
are a more elegant approach than "mixes," but mixes (remailers) can be
easily implemented in Perl and deployed rapidly, while I know of not a
single, actual, operational DC-Net.

And of course we cannot forget Phil Zimmermann's "Pretty Good Privacy." Had
a "pretty good" version not come out, where would we be today? (And "pretty
good" does not mean PGP is weak or has been broken.)

Just a reminder that often the best is the enemy of the good.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!