1996-08-18 - Re: Orbiting Datahavens

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: 5e2d1e80f435427a2e80af395659c99c6f97662b39fb0b4fd2a56e69a85475d9
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.93.960817225517.3114A-100000@smoke.suba.com>
Reply To: <199608180358.UAA29680@mail.pacifier.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-18 07:13:44 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 15:13:44 +0800

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 15:13:44 +0800
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Orbiting Datahavens

On Sat, 17 Aug 1996, jim bell wrote:
> At 06:32 PM 8/17/96 -0500, snow wrote:
> >     It is just as easy to take out a satelite in LOE as it is to sink an
> >oil rig, plus swapping defective Hard Drives is a real bitch.
> Hard drives don't work in a vacuum, at least conventional ones don't.  (And
> I'm not aware of any hard drives which are designed to be permanently
> pressurized against a hard vacuum, either...)

     I'll rephrase that then. It is a real bitch to swap out defective hardware
on a satellite.

     I don't know much about sats, and I realize that most of them are built
to specs that are insane compared to anything that runs dirtside, but (and I
am sure that someone will correct me if I am wrong) most sats aren't expected
to deal with the wide range of tasks that your average network server deals
with, nor do they have anywhere NEAR the memory capacities that we are talking
about.

Petro, Christopher C.
petro@suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>
snow@smoke.suba.com