1996-08-03 - Re: AP story: Police look for Olympic bombing Internet link.

Header Data

From: Jonathan Corbet <corbet@stout.atd.ucar.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 60d3e39ae6f006b72e2440e90be2112c0318ef6eb718cb1f72b6f64e6f334ec6
Message ID: <199608031426.IAA25403@atd.atd.ucar.EDU>
Reply To: <v03007803ae2846cb0c98@[17.202.12.102]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-03 16:12:44 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 00:12:44 +0800

Raw message

From: Jonathan Corbet <corbet@stout.atd.ucar.edu>
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 00:12:44 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: AP story: Police look for Olympic bombing Internet link.

> Bomb-making instructions
> available through the global computer network have contributed to an
> increase in bombings in the United States, authorities say.

My local paper (a Knight-Ridder rag) printed this story -- unquestioned --
as well.  Needless to say, I think a statement like this needs to be
responded to.  Letters to the editor, folks!  Wouldn't it be nice to have a
press that did a little more than print what the "authorities" have to say?

(This, of course, is the same paper that printed the recipe for a pipe bomb
on the front page after the explosion in Atlanta.  They included the
Elmer's glue and the all-important nails for best lethal effect -- you
might want to amend your sig again, Tim...:-)

Meanwhile, I have a question: as far as I know, no bombing has actually
been tied to the Internet in any way.  Does anybody know otherwise?  Even
though it's not really relevant to the principles of the debate here, it
seems worth pointing out.

jon

Thread