1996-08-27 - Re: Net Politics

Header Data

From: baby-x@cyberpolis.org (baby-X)
To: jseiger@cdt.org (Jonah Seiger)
Message Hash: 62cb0cecee4a8b7768f6af9c2a53eb0251a29509d7fdc523eb410eee6b91ff61
Message ID: <v01540b00ae48e087022c@[206.14.141.118]>
Raw Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 06:07:21 +0800

Raw message

From: baby-x@cyberpolis.org (baby-X)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 06:07:21 +0800
To: jseiger@cdt.org (Jonah Seiger)
Subject: Re: Net Politics

At 10:23 AM 8/27/96, Jonah Seiger wrote:

>This is an important debate that unfortunately seems to be dividing the
>net.community when we most need to be united. All of us working on
>net-policy issues share a common vision and goals - promoting the free flow
>of information, preserving and enhancing First Amendment values and
>protecting individual privacy. There are, for better or worse, many
>different views on the best way to accomplish those objectives, and the
>debate over who has the right tactics seems to frequently escalate in to
>religious war.

Not an unusual thing online (Windows! Mac! Windows! Mac! Linux!).

>Meanwhile, our opponents are well organized, determined, and do a much
>better job of keeping their internal strategic differences to themselves.
>Perhaps this is part of the reason they keep kicking our butts all over
>town.

I swer I had this conversation somewhere recently, and those of us involved
in it came up with one reason this rift seems to come up so often and get
discussed so publically, especially in comparison to our "organized,
determined" opponents. I would hazard a guess that those people working
within the cause of electronic freedoms tend not to be the simple
order-following, authority-heeding sort (compared to, say, followers of the
Religious Right). It's easy if you're Ralph Reed to send out a flyer or get
the telemarketters working and tell the troops what to do. It's not as easy
if you're, say, Jonah Seiger. Not because of Jonah (or Shabbir, or Declan,
or whoever), but because of his audience. It's not a push-button response
with us.

And I'm still not convinced (as I wasn't last year when I was more heavily
involved in some of this) that these differences of opinion have to somehow
be kept behind-closed-doors. That has always stuck me as the way -they- do
it (if I can stoop to using a Them for a moment), and never as a way that
was inherently required.

It's like the Gulf War or something. "Hey, we're at war, stop criticising,
we need to be united!" Hogwash.

Thread