1996-08-16 - Re: Stealth Buildings Was Re: “X-Ray Gun” for imperceptible searches

Header Data

From: Kevin Stephenson <cts@deltanet.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6506c340a488908f98f5fef7858e92377fed8bf9d8fa84de8565ff544eac6611
Message ID: <3213F1FB.74FB@deltanet.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SV4.3.91.960815205619.3926A-100000@larry.infi.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-16 06:21:27 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:21:27 +0800

Raw message

From: Kevin Stephenson <cts@deltanet.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:21:27 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Stealth Buildings Was Re: "X-Ray Gun" for imperceptible searches

Alan Horowitz wrote:

> I repeat.  Generations of sweating engineers have discovered and confirmed
> that there is not an easy, "Silver Bullet" cure of the canonical problem
> of shielding electromagnetic energy from reaching someone who knows how
> to interpret it.
>
> Bill, you are welcome to look at a layer of tin foil and give a sigh of
> relief that you've shielded your gun or your crypto diskette or your
> private body parts feom someone who knows what they're doing.  Go ahead,
> chant a mantra too, if it makes you feel better.

Shielding EMF/ELF is very difficult. I had a customer who had a wobbly
monitor and the solutions just to shield the monitor from some ELF
interference was in the $1k range. Check out this site:
http://www.noradcorp.com/faq1.htm
A little primer on ELF radiation. And putting foil in the wall will do
nothing except possibly spreading the radiation to a wider area. (Like
using frosted glass. :)

Thread