1996-08-13 - re: National Socio-Economic Security Need for Encryption Technology

Header Data

From: morgan@keilin.helsinki.fi (Joel Morgan)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 680ced2d659b4c4c8fb69074759da5517e665d6f69a50a7e5482db135d18e28a
Message ID: <199608131316.QAA05679@keilin.helsinki.fi>
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 02:23:59 +0800

Raw message

From: morgan@keilin.helsinki.fi (Joel Morgan)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 02:23:59 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: re: National Socio-Economic Security Need for Encryption Technology

It seems clear that capital investment in tools will contribute to the
-productivity- of workers.  (Tools here meaning whatever machinery/
infrastructure is used to get work done.)

Bart Croughs quotes a number of economists who seem to be saying that
when capital investment leads to increased productivity (per worker)
this also leads to higher wages.

I'm not sure I understand -why- this should necessarily be so.  It's my
impression that in manufacturing industries, the more mechanized
production is, the more workers will get paid.  Then again, perhaps a
more mechanized industry will pay more because more mechanized
industries hire workers with higher skills (albeit fewer workers).

It's my impression that when a company makes capital investments which
increase productivity, the fruits of this increased worker productivity
are shared (to some extent) with the workers.  I can imagine a number of
reasons why this might be done, but it's not absolutely clear to me
that this would be a direct result of market forces.

Joel.Morgan@Helsinki.FI              http://blues.helsinki.fi/~morgan
    "Over the mountains there are mountains."   -- Chang-rae Lee