1996-08-01 - Re: Internal Passports

Header Data

From: Mike McNally <m5@vail.tivoli.com>
To: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
Message Hash: 6b871e86a702df8afce6fa408bc88c7be335d9c149d165c7551db2d077e24191
Message ID: <3200ED63.C96@vail.tivoli.com>
Reply To: <ae26305c070210048f37@[205.199.118.202]>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-01 21:24:49 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 05:24:49 +0800

Raw message

From: Mike McNally <m5@vail.tivoli.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 05:24:49 +0800
To: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Subject: Re: Internal Passports

Timothy C. May wrote:
Tim wrote:
> I'm with Duncan and Lucky on this one. Nations with a "Privacy Ombudsman"
> are almost always nations with extensive files on individuals, their
> habits, and their political activities.

That reminds me:  I thumbed through BiBi's terrorism book (the one D.S.
certified as prerequisite reading for particpation in intelligent
discussions about something-or-other) at B&N the other day.  It's a
pretty thin book.  Most of it seems to be about the rise of the Moslem
Menace and how the Sultan's hordes will soon be upon us all.  The last
chapter outlines all the "necessary measures" governments must take
to stamp out the wildfire of terrorism.  Same old same old, mostly,
like allowing suspects to be held without charges, allowing warrantless
searches (I think), thorough weapon registration, and so on.  The last
one (or next-to-last; I think the last one is "brainwash the populace
into thinking this is all a good idea") is about establishing a
periodic "civil liberties review panel".

Yeah right.

Mike M Nally * Tiv^H^H^H IBM * Austin TX    * For the time being,
       m5@tivoli.com * m101@io.com          *
      <URL:http://www.io.com/~m101>         *    three heads and eight arms.

Thread