1996-08-13 - Searches

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: “Thomas C. Allard” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6cff07b3dc43dc3c315ff483f38d8bddc8d081183ac17b3c78efd18d1d5bdd77
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960812200659.008927dc@panix.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 10:35:28 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 10:35:28 +0800
To: "Thomas C. Allard" <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Searches

At 01:17 PM 8/9/96 -0400, Thomas C. Allard wrote:

>	In a landmark decision a federal court in New York has ruled
>that a CBS film crew and Secret Service agents are liable for filming and
>broadcasting a search of a private citizen's home. It is the first reported
>court decision to hold a television broadcaster liable for accompanying
>police agents on a search and filming it for the broadcast.

Just because someone at your door has a warrant or a contractual right to
search your place does not require you to allow anyone else in.  Par example:

Landlord of (A Member of This List):  The fire inspectors are here and would
like to inspect your apartment.

(A Member of This List):  They got a warrant?

Landlord of (A Member of This List):  No.

(A Member of This List):  Then they can't come in.

Landlord of (A Member of This List):  But I can enter the apartment with
reasonable notice under the rental agreement.

(A Member of This List):  You're welcome.  The Fire Inspectors aren't.

Landlord of (A Member of This List) who allowed a search of the rest of his
building was cited by the Fire Inspectors for an illegal apartment in the
basement.

DCF

"Why is it that when I'm faced with a reasonable request from a public
servant my immediate response is 'Load triple cannister'?"
  -- Cannister.  A cylindrical metal container filled with lead shot.
Designed to turn a field artillery piece into a very large shotgun.

Thread