1996-08-29 - Re: DoJ is poking around

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: “Chris Adams” <adamsc@io-online.com>
Message Hash: 6d2e616f399abec99746724c27dbe77b8a355866b6b34fc69d9e774f250a05c0
Message ID: <3.0b11.32.19960828235710.01192e4c@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 17:53:35 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 17:53:35 +0800
To: "Chris Adams" <adamsc@io-online.com>
Subject: Re: DoJ is poking around

At 08:21 PM 8/28/96 -0800, Adamsc wrote:

>>> Or, just maybe, some DoJ employees wanted to see what folks on the outside
>>> were doing to tweek their bosses:-)? Reminds me of the *thousands* of hits
>>> the "Intel Secrets Page"(http://www.x86.org/) has gotten from users at
>>> intel.com
>
>Out of curiosity, has anyone used a decompiler to check if any of the
>undocumented stuff is getting used in shipping programs?

I have not heard of anyone doing this with the Intel code, but I have seen
info on the "Secret APIs of Bill" (Undocumented Windows API calls) being
used in various programs.  (For more info on this, check out "Undocumented
Windows" by Schulman, Maxey, and Pietrek.)

I am sure that the people who produce SoftIce could give you more info on
this.  (Either that or talk with whoever is doing the undocumented feature
column for Dr. Dobbs.)
---
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."

Thread