1996-08-21 - Re: Spamming (Good or Bad?)

Header Data

From: “Paul S. Penrod” <furballs@netcom.com>
To: Ross Wright <rwright@adnetsol.com>
Message Hash: 6d79a5a331a00088c0e6d9dbca182a34ae0116ef952d48fa86adc503ce2e89b9
Message ID: <Pine.3.89.9608202254.A13012-0100000@netcom>
Reply To: <199608210044.RAA02892@adnetsol.adnetsol.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-21 07:34:11 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 15:34:11 +0800

Raw message

From: "Paul S. Penrod" <furballs@netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 15:34:11 +0800
To: Ross Wright <rwright@adnetsol.com>
Subject: Re: Spamming (Good or Bad?)

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Ross Wright wrote:

> On Or About 20 Aug 96, 16:23, Jim Gillogly wrote:
> >
> > Vipul Ved Prakash <vipul@pobox.com> writes:
> > >I don't know if there has been much discussion on the ethics of
> > >spamming here? Is spamming free speech?
> >

> > I oppose spamming because it's rude and inefficient, lowering the
> > S/N everywhere it happens.  Market droids
>
> Market Droids????  As a salesman I take offence at this slur.

Don't bother. There is a difference between marketing and sales. Lighten
up. Good salesmen are born with the ability - marketing is a bad attempt
at appyling engineering principles to the same.

As for spamming, I get enough of it via snail-mail, I don't want to see
it in my Inbox too. And, for the record, there are lots of people out
there who pay on the bulk charge, not by time. Sending advertising or
junk mail to these folks costs them money, maybe not much for the one
message you sent, but several thousand over a month of a quarter add up
to real money.

There is a time and place for legitimate advertising. I am sure that
given time and impetus, a number of clear channel venues will open up to
allow precision marketing and sales to happen electronicly.

At the moment, it's bad nettiquette...

...Paul

Thread