1996-08-22 - Asia seen having appetite for Internet banking

Header Data

From: “Joseph M. Reagle Jr.” <reagle@rpcp.mit.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 74830b114054eb1e05cb567c856d1005161bd710d491b06b02fee7d9a9ae7c53
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960822150701.0074c1b8@206.33.128.129>
Raw Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 02:30:35 +0800

Raw message

From: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@rpcp.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 02:30:35 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Asia seen having appetite for Internet banking

>	 NEW DELHI, Aug 21 (Reuter) - Asian nations are eager to make
>use of the Internet in the field of banking and finance to meet
>individual country's needs, a senior official of computer group
>Hewlett-Packard Co said on Wednesday.
>	 ``The response through the region is quite phenomenal,'' Jeff
>Ayton, the region's director of marketing in the financial
>services division of Hewlett-Packard, told Reuters in an
>interview.
>	 He said a Hewlett-Packard roadshow he held across the region
>revealed a keen interest in the use of Internet in banking and
>insurance. Internet experts say customers can use the network to
>transact business and banks can improve communications and
>customer service with its help.
>	 ``I don't think any Asian country wants to be left behind,''
>he said, but added that the exact level of sophistication in the
>demand generated would depend on customer needs and
>infrastructure facilities in each nation.
>	 With even rural areas now linked via satellites, there is a
>big potential for Internet-linked business in huge emerging
>markets, he said.
>	 ``Satellite technology is what will help in countries like
>China and India,'' he said, referring to their own satellite
>launch programmes.
>	 Ayton said he had found interest in using the Internet in
>banking in the Philippines, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand,
>Singapore, Taiwan and South Korea.
>	 Hewlett-Packard officials say that countries like India
>could leapfrog in computer networking technology because they
>have not yet invested huge amounts in computer infrastructure.
>	 Ayton said he was scheduled to meet Indian banking officials
>next week to discuss Internet-related possibilities in the
>field.
>	 Kapi Attawar, a senior Hewlett-Packard official dealing with
>emerging markets, said his company saw particular potential for
>the ``Intranet''. The latter enables local networks within
>companies to be linked to the worldwide information highway.
>	 Many Indian companies already had local computing networks
>using basic data transmission facilities which may be used to
>hook on to Internet, Attawar said.

Regards,            Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
		    -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Joseph  Reagle      http://rpcp.mit.edu/~reagle/home.html
reagle@mit.edu      E0 D5 B2 05 B6 12 DA 65  BE 4D E3 C1 6A 66 25 4E

Thread