1996-08-18 - Re: Anguilla

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 81581f351d1d2910c85658df6a51fd34058bf1fd2693e279fa3f54e4731e4575
Message ID: <w5uusD10w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960817154651.21014E-100000@offshore>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-18 16:33:16 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 00:33:16 +0800

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 00:33:16 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Anguilla

Vincent Cate <vince@offshore.com.ai> writes:
> The rumor is that Cable and Wireless bribed the previous government with
> things like a free loan of a bulldozer worth $500/day for a couple weeks
> to get their 30 year monopoly contract.  Given that CandW is making
> millions each year, seems they got off cheap, if true.  Claim is that the
> UK does not mind their companies bribing officials, and CandW does it alot
> all around the world.

I don't see a problem with that. All governments are corrupt by definition.
As far as I know, the U.S. is the only country in the world prohibiting
its businesses from bribing foreign officials with the silly law known
as the Foreign Corrupt Practices act (as if U.S. politicians didn't take
bribes!) The results are: U.S. businesses not being competetive in the
international markets where bribes are the traditional part of doing
business, and a significant paperwork/compliance cost in all other
international markets.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM